Monday, December 16, 2013

My first impressions - Samsung Galaxy Note 3

In a recent post I had mentioned how I wish I owned an i-Phone. 

Less than a couple of months away and here I’m fiddling around with the supposedly most powerful mobile device on this planet, the Galaxy Note 3 from Samsung, Apple’s biggest rival. 

Galaxy Note 3
While I had managed to hold myself back with some gritty display of restraint (a rarity in my case) during the release of the earlier iterations from this phablet family, this time around, Samsung finally got me with loads of interesting features, a bucket-full of high quality functionalities and to top it up, with some innovative promotions. (They always had this habit of tossing at you more than you could take - but we love that anyway.) The adventure set me back by Rs 46999/- and I was desperately hoping not to end up disappointed with my effort. 

A fortnight with this beast, and I must admit that I’m mighty impressed with what I have got. It does everything I thought it would do and many things I didn't imagine it could do.

The first time I fired it up, it simply blew me away with its gorgeous 5.7 inch full HD, 1080 x 1920 Super AMOLED display – they have managed to fit in this gigantic screen within an even lesser real estate compared to Note 2, thanks to the ultra thin bezel running around the edges. 

The Snapdragon 800 processor allows you to run your apps lightning fast and provides you a astoundingly fast browsing experience. Battery back-up is vastly improved with the 3200mAh battery hidden in its slender frame.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that it shoots 4k videos. Even though my LG LED Smart TV doesn't do 4k, the videos I shot with Note 3, looked extra ordinarily amazing and lively on my giant screen.

S-pen action memo is quite cool; it lets you do much more this time around. Jot down the name of a place; it takes you right there in the Google maps. Quickly pen down a number and you could dial or save it in your contact list. All these stuffs were carried out with minimum fuss albeit my deliberate poor hand-writings, which is quite amazing. You could also draw a box anywhere on the screen and it re-sizes itself with a number of essential apps. I also love the scrap-booker and screen writing features that allow you to store a part of a web-page, video or a link for later under different categories.

It has got some cool party tricks too - hover your palm over the screen; it wakes up and dances to your gestures – makes you look like a Himalayan saint with divine powers.

It has taken multi-tasking to a whole new level. Pull out two apps from the left side multi-task bar and you screen runs them in two separate windows 50:50. Samsung’s touch-wiz interface was always nice, no surprises there this time too. Widgets are as seamless as ever and the 13-mega pixel camera is better than I would have imagined, with a loads of shooting options.The front facing camera is of 2 mega-pixel too.

The unimaginative faux leather finish rear cover
So do I have any complaints at all? Yes! The faux leather finish on its rear is a bit of a spoiler to an overall amazing experience. It looks tacky and just doesn’t work for me. Even as we all were hoping to see a HTC-like metal chassis, we could still have lived with that ever so familiar glossy cheap plastic-finished rear cover this one more time. Nevertheless, on a positive note, it does provide a better gripping experience in your hands.

That’s about it for now, will post a detailed review once I get to play a bit more with this latest addition to my gadget collections.

For now I’ll be switching between my Xperia Z (black) and Galaxy Note 3 (white) depending upon my mood and attire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment